University of Phoenix Material
Humanistic and Existential Personality Theories Worksheet
Fill-in the Blank
Abraham Maslow proposed the _________________ theory of personality.
- Abraham Maslow proposed the _________________ theory of personality.
- According to Maslow, self-fulfillment and realization of one’s full potential are examples of ________________ needs.
- Maslow’s hierarchy of needs proposes that ____________ needs must be satisfied before ____________ needs will become motivators for behavior.
- The belief that matter evolves from simpler to more complex forms is ____________________.
- The ___________, according to Rogers, is one’s view of self as one wishes to be.
- Carl Rogers believed that conditions of worth, incongruence, defensiveness, and disorganization are all considered
- Rogers believed that __________________________, _______________________, and _________________ are necessary elements of psychotherapy.
- _______________ is the structure that gives meaning to experience and allows people to make decisions about the future.
- May proposed that ___________________ is the freedom of action, whereas __________________ is the freedom of being.
- The basic concepts of existential theory are _______________ and ___________________.
Match the following theoretical components with their correct theorist or theorists.
|1. Unconditional positive regard||A. Abraham Maslow|
|2. Eros||B. Carl Rogers|
|3. Love and belongingness needs||C. Rollo May|
|4. The self-concept|
|6. Levels of awareness|
|8. Neurotic anxiety|
- According to Maslow, what are the characteristics of self-actualizing people? Why are these characteristics important?
- What are the strengths of the humanistic theories in regard to their explanation of personality?
- What are the limitations of the humanistic theories in regard to their explanation of personality?
- What are the strengths and limitations of May’s existential theory in regard to their explanation of personality?