Directions: Be sure to save an electronic copy of your answer before submitting it to Ashworth College for grading. Unless otherwise stated, answer in complete sentences, and be sure to use correct English, spelling and grammar. Sources must be cited in APA format. Your response should be four (4) double-spaced pages; refer to the “Assignment Format” page located on the Course Home page for specific format requirements.
NOTE: To access ProQuest articles, you MUST first open a Web browser window to the Ashworth College Library; otherwise, you will be denied access to the articles when you click the links. Once your browser is open to the Ashworth College Library, simply click on the link for the article you need to read.
Access the following article using ProQuest, the Ashworth College online library:
- Griggs, J. (2011). BP GULF OF MEXICO OIL SPILL. Energy Law Journal, 32.1, 57-79. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/869071045/13F9B6E0ACE2413E456/3?accountid=45844
Respond to the following:
- In your own words, provide an overview of the events and implications of the BP Gulf of Mexico oil spill.
- Explain the Oil Pollution Act of 1990, including why it was enacted, its general provisions, and OPA 90’s effectiveness in terms of containing a major spill.
- Why did it take BP so long to stop the spill?
- Which type of control would have been most helpful to BP in averting the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico? Provide one (1) supporting fact to support your response.