would you conclude that Islam has more in common with Judaism or Christianity?
Compose a formal, argumentative essay (1000 words) in answer to the question:
Of the three Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) would you conclude that Islam has more in common with Judaism or Christianity? What leads you to this conclusion?
- Think about what you have learned about the three Abrahamic religions
- Review resources noted in the folder below as well as reading, notes and discussion contributions from earlier in the course that may be pertinent to comparing and contrasting the three religions.
- Consider these “key questions”:
- In what ways are Judaism, Christianity and Islam are similar to each other?
- In what ways are Judaism and Christianity similar to each other but different from Islam?
- In what ways are Christianity and Islam similar to each other but different from Judaism?
- In what ways are Judaism and Islam similar to each other but different from Christianity?
- In what ways are each of these three religions unique, unlike the other two?
These questions are merely meant to get you thinking. In the end, you want to do more than merely compare and contrast. You want to be arguing a particular thesis: Islam has more in common with Judaism OR Islam has more in common with Christianity. Use your observations about comparisons and contrasts to help support your argument.
You can use this attached venn diagram to help you brainstorm and sort out your observations about the three religions.
- Use your best thinking and composition skills – approximately 1000 words. You should be able to make an argument based on what you have learned about the religions throughout the course. However, if you do use any sources, be sure to cite them properly. The conclusions you arrive at and your writing should be your own (no plagiarism – review course policies on plagiarism in the “grading policies” folder of the course SYLLABUS).
- There is no “right” or “wrong” answer to this question. It is a matter of how convincing you can be with regard to how you prove your point, drawing on evidence to support your observations.
Compare and contrast facts about the three religions:
Note: the resources below give you the facts. It is your task, with this paper, to draw your own conclusions, weighing the various facts.
(it is advisable to compare and contrast multiple sources, as each may either verify or contradict the others or provide information not addressed in the other sources)
- Elements of the Abrahamic Faiths (an interactive site, using Flash) explore the three Abrahamic religions in a side-by-side comparison of faith, ceremonies, chronology, living and worship (objective source) (alternative HTML/non-Flash version)
- Abrahamic Religion (from Wikipedia)
- Islam and Judaism (from Wikipedia)
- Christianity and Islam (from Wikipedia)
- Comparison of Islam, Judaism and Christianity (objective source)
- Comparison Table between Christianity, Islam and Judaism (Christian source)
- Comparison grid between Christianity and Islamic doctrine (Muslim source)
- Similarities between Judaism and Islam (Muslim source)
APA 1230 words