The Consolidation of School Districts: Outline
I am in a world of struggling with trying to create an annotated outline for a portfolio project and am still struggling to create a working thesis that I like and can use to make this paper work. Attached is the Outline Template to be used and my Annotated Bibliography for reference if needed. I’ve also attached the instructions for the final portfolio itself.
The question I asked that prompted my working thesis is:
What would it take to achieve education equity and excellence in low poverty cities?
The current thesis I have is:
Poor school performance in low-income areas due to funding disparity continues to grow exponentially greater as income and property taxes provide greater funding in high-income areas and lower funding in low-income areas. A solution to correcting this imbalance is to develop a strategy that not only addresses the restructuring of financial systems, but also examines critical resources like quality teachers, focuses on critical support for low-poverty students and to address needed changes in governance and accountability.
I was informed by my instructor that I needed to provide a specific solution (as right now it seems that I am saying the solution is a solution without providing specifics). Please feel free to ask any questions needed.
OPTIONS 1 & 2: ANNOTATED OUTLINE
Submit an annotated outline of the research project that will comprise your Portfolio Project.
An annotated outline is one that provides in-text citations of sources for each of your main topics (main points were mapped out in the Module 2 Critical Thinking Assignment – this has been attached as well- however my question changed to be more specific) and a complete Reference list at the end, all formatted in APA style.
Make sure your outline fully supports all requirements of the Portfolio Project assignment, which can be accessed in the Module 8 folder. Note that while this Critical Thinking assignment requires that you cite at least one source for each main topic and a minimum of eight sources total, you are not required this week to include all sources that will be provided with the final version of your Portfolio Project. In other words, you may add more sources to your work prior to the final delivery of the Portfolio Project due at the end of Week 8.
List your thesis statement, claims, and evidence in the following format:
- Thesis statement: Write your single-sentence thesis statement here.
- Claim: Write your first claim in a complete sentence here.
- Evidence: Paraphrase or summarize your source and cite it here (Sample, 2016).
- Evidence: Paraphrase or summarize additional sources that support this claim and cite them here as 2., 3., 4., and so on (Sample, 2016).
- Evidence: If you feel the need to use a quote, “add it to the list with proper quotation marks and the appropriate in-text citation containing the page, section, or paragraph number in the original source” (Sample, 2016, p. 22).
- Claim: Write your second claim in a complete sentence here.
- Evidence: Paraphrase or summarize your source here (Sample, 2015).
- Evidence: Continue to paraphrase and summarize your sources for each claim (Sample, 2016).
- Claim: Continue to write your claims in complete sentences.
- Your annotated outline should include at least eight credible sources. The CSU-Global Library is an excellent place to search for credible, scholarly sources.
- Provide a summary, a paraphrase, and a direct quotation for each of your sources. Please identify the summary, paraphrase, and direct quotation you would like evaluated by highlighting this section of your writing.
- Your Annotated Outline should be 2-3 pages in length not counting the title and reference pages, which you must include. (annotated outline template linked below)
- The annotated outline and citation formatting should conform with CSU-Global Guide to Writing & APA.
Refer to the Critical Thinking Assignment Rubric available in the Module 4 Folder for more information on assignment expectations and grading.
Thesis Statement: Poor school performance in low-income areas due to funding disparity continues to grow exponentially greater as income and property taxes provide greater funding in high-income areas and lower funding in low-income areas. A solution to correcting this imbalance is to consolidate nearby school districts as a means of supporting struggling districts to provide quality education.
Body paragraph 1
Poor school performance has been consistently linked to low-income school districts and thus on the rise in such regions.
Students from low-income areas have always suffered a great deal of poor services and in the recent years, a constant decline in their academic performance has been noticed across the country (Lynch, 2016)……….
APA 823 words