Describe how benchmarking is used in healthcare for performance improvement. Based on the benchmark in practice.
Benchmarking in practice Scenario
A Healthcare Information Management director at a large physician clinic has 21 transcriptionists who average about 140 lines per hour using conventional word processing software and cassette tapes. The transcription unit supports 80 physicians at a cost of 15 cents per line.
The HIM director contacts the Medical Group Management Association and, with its data, is able to determine that in similar settings one transcriptionist generally supports four physicians. She knows transcription processes are not state of the art in her organization and wonders to what extent departmental performance might be improved by applying best practices.
First, she conducts a literature search of transcription best practices on the AHIMA and American Association for Medical Transcription Web sites. Then she searches AHIMA’s Communities of Practice for best practice and transcription threads. She also talks to her peers on the local HIM association board and posts a discussion thread on the Ambulatory Care Community of Practice. She attends a national convention, visiting vendors and attending lectures on best practices and transcription technology.
She identifies 10 transcription departments of similar size and scope and interviews the HIM director or transcription manager at each, using an interview form she developed. She finds one department that is producing an average of 275 lines per transcriptionist per hour at a cost of 12 cents per line. During the interview, she finds out that this organization:
- has an incentive program
- uses software in which abbreviations typed onto the keyboard produce phrases and entire paragraphs
- uses templates that can be personalized for particular patients for routine procedures
- uses digital dictation from which to transcribe
- does not require transcriptionists to perform any clerical duties or cover for other HIM functions after hours
- has several telecommuting transcriptionists
On the basis of this information, the HIM director talks to her staff and decides to pursue abbreviation software, templates, and a digital dictation system. Once those technologies and processes are implemented, she intends to develop an incentive program and explore allowing transcriptionists to work from home. She presents the idea to the administration, they accept the idea, and she obtains the necessary funding. As she implements each of these processes, the productivity of the transcription unit continues to increase. She provides the administration with monthly progress reports and annual cost-benefit analysis.
Directions: After reading the scenario – Benchmarking in Practice
Here are the details of the assignment:
- Describe how benchmarking is used in healthcare for performance improvement. Based on the benchmark in practice.
- Identify what the HIM Director did to implement best practices in benchmarking.
- Evaluate the HIM Director’s decision to send the transcriptionist home, was it appropriate?, explain your answers
- Include at least two inline citations to support your rationale.
- Your paper should be at least 2 pages in length (coversheet and reference pages do not count) and must be submitted using Microsoft Word.
- Use APA guidelines for references and inline citations.
Requirements: 2 pages | .doc file
Subject: Health & Medical
Thank you, please include all and any in text citations. Also, please make sure all sources used are peer-reviewed academic sources.
Answer preview for the “Describe how benchmarking is used in healthcare for performance improvement. Based on the benchmark in practice.” essay…………………..
apa 661 words