Implications of Criminological Theories within the Context of Social Policy
CJ102-5: Discuss the implications of criminological theories within the context of social policy.
Ethical Issues, Criminological Theories, and Public Policy
Review the following scenario:
A recent policy was implemented by Anytown’s Department of Job and Family Services regarding the issue of child endangerment. Any household that has one or more documented offense of domestic violence, child abuse, or drug or alcohol related offenses committed by the mother, father, guardian, and/or caregiver, will result in the removal of any child or children from the home.
The child will be placed in the care of the state, or foster care services, until documentation can prove that the offender has undergone any or all of the following, and has thus been “offense free” for a period of no less than 6 months: Alcohol and/or drug treatment, counseling, family therapy sessions, mental health treatment, anger management, life skills classes, and/or parenting classes.
The Department of Job and Family Services made reference to the social learning theory as providing support for this approach, as evidenced by research indicating that “aggressive children have parents who use aggressive tactics when dealing with others. For example, the children of wife batterers are more likely to use aggressive tactics themselves than children in the general population, especially if the victims (their mothers) suffer psychological distress from the abuse” (Siegel, 2019, p. 148).
In a minimum of 4 double-spaced pages (excluding the cover and references pages), write a critical essay voicing your opinion about the following issues:
- Identify potential ethical/moral issues that could arise from implementing this new policy. Based on the conclusions you reach after taking all of this into account, share your opinion on whether the policy is considered an ethical one, based on its potential ramifications.
- Consider the impact (be it positive or negative) on those involved in the above situation, specifically as it pertains to the overall welfare and well-being of the child. Describe the positive and/or negative impact the policy could have on society in general, or on the family unit. Be as objective as possible in examining the potential benefits of such a policy, as well as the possible negative effects.
- Finally, did the Department of Job and Family Services misinterpret or misapply the social learning theory when planning and implementing the policy? Be sure to demonstrate how the social learning theory either does or does not apply to this scenario.
Minimum Submission Requirements
- This Assessment should be a Microsoft Word (minimum 4 page) document, in addition to the title and reference pages.
- Respond to the questions in a thorough manner, providing specific examples of concepts, topics, definitions, and other elements asked for in the questions. Your submission should be highly organized, logical, and focused.
- Your submission must be written in Standard English and demonstrate exceptional content, organization, style, and grammar and mechanics.
- Your submission should provide a clearly established and sustained viewpoint and purpose.
- Your writing should be well ordered, logical and unified, as well as original and insightful.
- A separate page at the end of your submission should contain a list of references, in APA format. Use your textbook, the Library, and the internet for research.
- Be sure to cite both in-text and reference list citations where appropriate and reference all sources. Your sources and content should follow proper APA citation style. Review the writing resources for APA formatting and citation found in Academic Tools. Additional writing resources can be found within the Academic Success Center.
- Your submission should:
- include a cover sheet;
- be double-spaced;
- be typed in Times New Roman, 12 -point font;
- include correct citations
- be written in Standard English with no spelling or punctuation errors; and
- include correct references at the bottom of the last page.
If work submitted for this competency assessment does not meet the minimum submission requirements, it will be returned without being scored.
Plagiarism is an act of academic dishonesty. It violates the University Honor Code, and the offense is subject to disciplinary action. You are expected to be the sole author of your work. Use of another person’s work or ideas must be accompanied by specific citations and references. Whether the action is intentional or not, it still constitutes plagiarism.
Subject: Criminal Justice
Answer preview “Discuss the implications of criminological theories within the context of social policy.” essay…………………
apa 1533 words
Click the Purchase button now to download full answer for the“Implications of Criminological Theories within the Context of Social Policy” paper