explain how the organizational cultures influence the decision making related to ethics in your chosen case
To prepare for this Discussion, review this week’s resources. Select one of the following cases: Guantanamo (McNeal, 2010) or the Exxon Valdez (Kurtz, 2003). Then, consider the following:
- How did organizational culture influence ethical decision making?
- What are the ethical issues?
- What are the issues facing the decision makers?
- How did the organizational culture influence decision making?
- What did you learn from this case that you can use as a public administrator?
- What, if anything, does the case have in common with the 2013 Internal Revenue Service (IRS) scandal over IRS audits of conservative nonprofit agencies?
- To what extent does attention by the American public media influence ethical decision making of public and nonprofit public administrators? Do you think that such media exposure should determine administrative decisions?
Post a brief description of your chosen case. Identify the ethical issues within the case. Then, explain how the organizational cultures influence the decision making related to ethics in your chosen case. Finally, suggest two strategies that public administrators might use to promote an ethical organizational culture.
decision-making Required Readings:
Cooper T. L. (2012). The responsible administrator: An approach to ethics for the administrative role (6th ed.). New York NY: Jossey-Bass. Chapter 6 “Maintaining Responsible Conduct in Public Organizations: Two Approaches” (pp. 127–159) Chapter 7 “Integrating Ethics with Organizational Norms and Structures” (pp. 161–195) American Society for Public Administration. (2013). Practices to promote R. S. (2003). Organizational culture and integrity: The National Park Service and the Exxon Valdez. Public Integrity 5(4) 305–317. Note: Retrieved from Walden Library databases. McNeal s G. S. (2010). Organizational culture school professional ethics and Guantanamo. Case Western Reserve Journal of International Law 42(1/2)
APA 1232 words