Look up the term massive-scale emotional contagion experiments? What did Facebook do in 2014 without their users’ knowledge?
SOCIAL MEDIA DILEMMA
- “Researchers note that people naturally repost messages on the basis of their popularity, rather than their accuracy.”
- “There are only two industries that call their customers ‘users’: illegal drugs and software.”
- “150 million Americans were reached by Russian propaganda posts on Facebook during the 2016 US elections, according to Facebook’s estimates.”
- “Within a week of George Floyd’s killing by police, social media platforms hosted a range of counter-information: one video asserting that the death was faked reached 1.3 million people, while thousands of posts on both Facebook and Twitter claimed that the police officer involved was an actor and that the event was faked by the state.”
- Chamath Palihapitiya, former VP of user growth at Facebook, has said that: “I can control my decision, which is that I don’t use that sh%t [Social Media]. I can control my kids’ decisions, which is that they’re not allowed to use that sh%t… The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops that we have created are destroying how society works.”
- Read the articles.
- Watch the Trailer. If you have Netflix, watch the video.
- Answer the questions at the bottom of the page.
Review: A call to digital arms, ‘The Social Dilemma’ demands change
Ledger of Harms (Click on the arrows to open the dropdown menus to answer some of the questions.)
Social Dilemma Trailer
Indie Wire Interview with Tristan
- Look up the term massive-scale emotional contagion experiments? What did Facebook do in 2014 without their users’ knowledge?
- About 3.16 minutes into the Indie Wire interview, Tristan says that you cannot solve climate change until you solve the social media dilemma. Why does he believe that?
- On the Humane Tech Ledger page (Links to an external site.) (https://ledger.humanetech.com/ ) under “The Next Generations” dropdown menu, it is noted that 2-4-year-old children are on mobile devices for 58 minutes a day on average. What percentage of children under 2 years old use a mobile device?
- Once again under “The Next Generatons” dropdown menu from the same Ledger page, what did the longitudinal study tracking 200 children show? How did mobile devices affect 2-5-year-old children?
- Under “Making Sense of the World,” another dropdown menu at the top of the Ledger page, what “percentage of extremist group joins are due to our [Facebook’s] recommendation tools?”
- Now that you are educated on this topic, how does the AI in social media help to increase the polarization in the world? Explain your answer.
- How could you use this topic for an argumentative essay? Write a rough draft of the thesis statement on this topic.
- Write a proposal. For this assignment, write a half-page page paper explaining how you would argue this topic. Begin with your thesis statement and your approach and the types of sources that you could use for this type of argument.
Answer preview “Look up the term massive-scale emotional contagion experiments? What did Facebook do in 2014 without their users’ knowledge?” essay……………..
apa 551 words