Policemen of the World Thesis and Outline
Assignment 2.1: Policemen of the World Thesis and Outline
Due Week 7 and worth 70 points
By the mid-20th century, the United States had become the dominant force in international relations. Some have argued that the United States’ military functions as the world’s “police.” This assignment covers the manner in which this shift occurred and the consequences the United States faces as a result of its status as “policemen of the world.” Using the Internet and reputable news sources, research two (2) real-life international incidents from the past five (5) years in which:
- The U.S. used military action abroad.
- Controversy existed within the American public regarding U.S. involvement.
- Controversy existed within the country or countries affected by U.S. involvement.
- Write a thesis statement that is one to two (1-2) sentences long in which you:
- State your thesis on the significance of the current role of the US military, as exemplified in the two (2) real-life international incidents that you have researched. Justify your response.
For the first part of this assignment you will create a thesis statement. A thesis statement is usually a single sentence somewhere in your first paragraph that presents your main idea to the reader. The body of the essay organizes the material you gather and present in support of your main idea. Keep in mind that a thesis is an interpretation of a question or subject, not the subject itself. (Note: Please consult the Purdue OWL Website with tips on how to construct a proper thesis; the website can be found at: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/545/01/
For the next part of this assignment you will create an outline of the main points you want to address in this paper. This will serve as the basis for your Assignment 2.2 Final Draft. (Note: Please use the Purdue Owl Website to assist you with this assignment; this website can be accessed at: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/engagement/2/2/55/
- Write a one page outline in which you:
- Describe the two (2) international events involving the US military from the past five (5) years you investigated that can be traced back to a foreign policy created after the Civil War.
- List three (3) aspects of US history since 1865 that have led to the US’s rise as a world super power policeman.
- List three to five (3-5) international incidents since World War II where America has taken on a policing role.
- List three to five (3-5) driving forces that fueled international policy decisions involving the international incidents you outlined previously. (Consider treaties, exit strategies, elections, wars, etc.)
- Use at least three (3) academic references besides or in addition to the textbook. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Identify and discuss the different ways that the Civil War, Reconstruction, and Industrialization after the Civil War have shaped America’s history.
- Summarize and discuss the ways that formal policies of government have influenced the direction of historical and social development in the United States.
- Recognize the major turning points in American history since the Civil War.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in contemporary U.S. history.
- Write clearly and concisely about contemporary U.S. history using proper writing mechanics.
Click here to view the grading rubric.
The thesis statement I have chosen for this assignment is: “As the recent anti-ISIL military interventions in Syria and Iraq indicate, the United States may not bring democracy to the world if it continues to use military force rather than diplomacy.” America has had successive Presidents who had embraced Wilsonian ideals over the last few decades as indicated by Clinton’s “National Security Strategy of Engagement and Enlargement,” Bush’s “Freedom Agenda,” and even Obama’s interventions in Egypt, Yemen, and Libya. However, there is little doubt that these attempts at promoting democracy have not fared well. There are few success stories and numerous failures as we can see in Iraq, Libya, Syria, and Yemen as..
APA 326 words