Primary Source Analysis Sheet
Instructions for the Primary Source Analysis Sheet are in the Course Home/Information Pages. Please submit the assignment here.
Remember, you are researching TWO documents. The dates of the documents must be 500-1550 CE, and the documents must be related to our World History course and to each other. Please be absolutely sure that the documents you select are primary and not secondary. Choosing a secondary document will negatively affect your grade. Copy and paste the worksheet below into your word processing program.
2 PRIMARY SOURCES
- TYPES OF DOCUMENTS:
_____CONGRESSIONAL RECORD _____BILL/LAW
_____ARTIFACT _____PRESS RELEASE
_____DIARY ENTRY _____REPORT
_____OTHER (BE SPECIFIC):
WEB ADDRESS OF DOCUMENT 1:
WEB ADDRESS OF DOCUMENT 2:
- DATE(S) OF THE DOCUMENTS:
- AUTHORS (OR CREATORS) OF THE DOCUMENTS:
- FOR WHAT AUDIENCES WERE THE DOCUMENTS WRITTEN?
- QUOTE 3 THINGS STATED IN EACH DOCUMENT THAT YOU THINK ARE IMPORTANT AND EXPLAIN WHY EACH IS IMPORTANT:
6. EXPLAIN IN DETAIL WHY YOU THINK THESE DOCUMENTS ARE RELATED:
7. WHAT EVIDENCE IN THE DOCUMENTS HELPED YOU TO KNOW HOW THEY ARE HISTORICALLY CONNECTED?
8. LIST AND EXPLAIN AT LEAST 2 THINGS THE DOCUMENTS, WHEN CONSIDERED TOGETHER, TELL YOU ABOUT LIFE IN THE CIVILIZATION YOU HAVE RESEARCHED AT THE TIME THE DOCUMENTS WERE WRITTEN.
9. WRITE A PARAGRAPH EXPLAINING HOW THESE TWO DOCUMENTS, TOGETHER, SUPPORT A HISTORICAL CONCLUSION.
Follow these steps:
- Using the internet to conduct your research, locate a primary source document (see “primary and secondary sources” in google if you are unsure about the definition of a primary source).
- Your documents should be directly related to the topic described in the assignment.
- Answer the questions in the worksheet after you have read your chosen source carefully.
- Be sure to explain your answers in detail, especially in questions 5-8.
- This is a graded assignment, so be sure to put substantial effort into your answers. Your interpretation and analysis of the documents is key to successfully completing this assignment.
- Copy and paste the worksheet into your word program, complete the worksheet, and then save a copy. Upload the file or paste your completed worksheet into the text box provided in Canvas.
- This is a significant assignment, worth 150 points, so do your best work.
Where to start?
An excellent place to start your research would be the Ancient History Sourcebook:
Here are some other research sites you may find helpful:
Women in World History:
Asia For Educators:
Library of Congress:
apa 648 words