Sickle Cell Anemia
SCI260 – Introduction to Biochemistry
During tonight’s class, we discussed protein structure and how changes in the amino
acid sequence of a protein can significantly alter its function and cause
diseases/disorders. With this in mind, write a paragraph that explains the cause of
sickle cell anemia disease?
Your answer should be no longer than one page and should answer ALL of the following
1. What is the name (spell it out) of the specific protein that is affected in sickle cell
2. Describe the specific change in the amino acid sequence that causes sickle cell
3. How does this protein function in normal people who do not suffer from sickle cell
4. What are the symptoms that individuals with sickle cell anemia disease experience?
5. Is there a cure for sickle cells anemia disease? If not, describe the types of
treatments that are used to alleviate the symptoms of sickle anemia disease.
You will earn 20 pts for correctly answering each question (maximum points earned is
100). You may use the internet and/or your textbook to assist you, but please DO NOT
copy your answers directly from the internet or textbook.
9 mins ago
Hemoglobin- Beta is the protein affected in sickle cell anemia disease. Sickle cell disease occurs when the hemoglobin-beta gene, that is, found in chromosome 11 changes. Usually, hemoglobin has a role of transporting oxygen to all parts of the body. Hemoglobin is in red blood cells. The abnormal hemoglobin molecules, that is, hemoglobin S – stick together and form rod-like structures that make the red blood cells to stiffen and become sickle-shaped………
APA 325 words