Social Activism and Data Analysis
Create a public information product of your choice that is based on data related to a diversity issue. Your product should be at least 1,500 written words
SCORING GUIDE MUST BE FOLLOWED TO THE LETTER
- Demographic Characteristics by Race| Transcript.
- This resource presents a variety of data on the major racial and ethnic categories in the United States.
- Economic Inequality| Transcript.
- These charts show data on economic inequality in the United States.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation. (2016). Arrests by race and ethnicity: Table 21A. Retrieved from https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in…
- Table 21 contains data on arrests—both raw numbers and percentages—for drug abuse, murder, rape, robbery, and other offenses based on racial and ethnic categories.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2016). Results from the 2016 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Detailed tables. Retrieved from https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/NS…
- The illicit drug use tables show use of drugs based on age and other demographics (including race or gender). The data here on race and drug use can be compared to the FBI data (above) on arrests for drug abuse violations by race.
- Alexander, M. (2011). The new Jim Crow. Ohio State Journal of Criminal Law, 9(7).
- This article examines the persistent of institutional discrimination against African Americans in the American justice system. For a more in-depth analysis, see Alexander’s book, The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness.
- Anderson, M. D. (2016, October 11). How the stress of racism affects learning. Atlantic. Retrieved from https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2016…
- This article examines links between discrimination and educational achievement.
- Childress, S. (2014, December 17). Why states are changing course on juvenile crime. Frontline. Retrieved from http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/criminal-j…
- This PBS Frontline piece examines state responses to juvenile crime.
- Davis, A. J. (2007). Racial fairness in the criminal justice system: The role of the prosecutor. Columbia Human Rights Law Review, 39(1), 202–232.
- This article discusses the role of prosecutors in reducing racial disparities in the justice system.
- Freund, D. M. P. (2016, April 28). We can’t forget how racist institutions shaped homeownership in America. Washington Post. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/0…
- This article examines the history of institutionalized discrimination in housing.
- Healey, J. F., & O’Brien, E. (2015). Race, ethnicity, gender, & class: The sociology of group conflict and change(7th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Several chapters in this text (Chapters 6–10) address institutional discrimination faced by various racial and ethnic groups. Discrimination based on gender and sexuality is covered in Chapters 11 and 12.
- Matthew, D. B., Rodrigue, E., & Reeves, R. V. (2016, October 19). Time for justice: Tackling race inequalities in health and housing. Brookings. Retrieved from https://www.brookings.edu/research/time-for-justic…
- This article discusses the racial gap in health and housing and solutions for addressing this problem.
- Nier, J. A., & Gaertner, S. L. (2012). The challenge of detecting contemporary forms of discrimination. Journal of Social Issues, 68(2), 207–220.
- This research article discusses the difficulty of detecting subtle forms of racial and gender bias.
- Pager, D., & Shepherd, H. (2008). The sociology of discrimination: Racial discrimination in employment, housing, credit, and consumer markets. S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC29154…
- This article discusses racial inequality in employment, housing, and other social institutions.
- The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research. (2014). Crime and law enforcement in America: Racial and ethnic differences in attitudes toward the criminal justice system. Retrieved from http://www.apnorc.org/projects/Pages/HTML%20Report…
- This article describes and analyzes data on racial and ethnic differences in perceptions of and attitudes toward the criminal justice system.
- S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division. (2015, March 4). Investigation of the Ferguson Police Department [PDF]. Retrieved from http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/opa/pre…
- This report discusses institutional discrimination in the police department in Ferguson, Missouri.
- Williams, D. R., & Mohammed, S. A. (2009). Discrimination and racial disparities in health: Evidence and needed research. S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC28216…
- This report examines research on discrimination in the health care system.
- The following video was purchased through Films Media Group for use in this Capella course. Any distribution of video content or associated links is prohibited.
- Race on Trial| Transcript.
- This video examines racial bias and discrimination in the criminal justice system.
- Running time: 3:59
- S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. (2017). EEOC releases fiscal year 2016 enforcement and litigation data. Retrieved from https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/newsroom/release/1-18-17…
- This press release links to the EEOC report on workplace discrimination.
- Race on Trial| Transcript.
The United States is known as the most multicultural country around the world due to the different racial and ethnic groups in the country. With this ethnic diversity comes the issue of equality which is basically the treatment of different racial and ethnic groups. Racial and ethnic minorities face a system that is designed to favor and leans on…………………..
APA 1634 words