The presidential election of 1912 was the most Progressive in US history, with the two frontrunners, Theodore Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson, both espousing Progressive philosophies. Although both Wilson and Roosevelt were Progressive, their attitudes toward Progressivism differed, at least in theory. This paper will provide an opportunity to review the complex nature of Progressivism, and to explore how presidents’ policies while in office often differ from their rhetoric on the campaign trail.
Using the primary sources below, compare and contrast the two men’s principles based on their writings, and then, using the textbook and at least one secondary source from the library’s JSTOR or Project MUSE databases, compare each presidents’ political principles with his actions while in office—how well did their actions match their rhetoric?
Draw from the material in the AT LEAST ONE of the Following sources when writing your paper:
- Bull Moose Party. (1912, Aug. 7). Platform of the Progressive party. Retrieved from http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americ
- Roosevelt, T. R. (1910, Aug. 31). The new nationalism. Retrieved from http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americ
- Wilson, W. (1913, March 4). First inaugural address. Retrieved from http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americ
- Wilson, W. (1913). What is progress?. In The new freedom: A call for the emancipation of the generous energies of a people(Chapter II). New York: Doubleday, Page & Company. Retrieved from http://www.gutenberg.org/files
The paper must be three to four pages in length and formatted according to APA style. Cite your sources within the text of your paper and on the reference page. For information regarding APA, including samples and tutorials, visit the Ashford Writing Center, located within the Learning Resources tab on the left navigation toolbar.
The Ashford Writing Center (AWC) has two kinds of tutoring available to you.
- Live Chat – If you have writing-related questions about a topic before you draft a discussion post or submit a written assignment, you will now be able to chat live with a tutor for a short (up to 20 minute) conversation. Live Chat will be available Mondaythrough Friday from 10:00-11:00 am and 4:00-5:00 pm (PST). AWC Live Chat
- Email Paper Review – If you have a draft, partial draft, or even if you’re having trouble getting started, you can complete a submission form and email your paper to the AWC for review.
- Writing Tutors will do their best to return your paper with their comments within 48 hours, not including Saturdays and Sundays. Please plan accordingly if you would like to receive feedback before an assignment due date. AWC Email Paper Review
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.
preview of the answer..
Theodore Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson are considered to be one of the extraordinary people in the United States. Americans believe that they symbolized the aspirations as well as hope of the American nation during their tenure in the American politics. The assassination of President McKinley gave Theodore Roosevelt opportunity to inherit the political empire that he left behind. The 1898 Spanish American War had given the United States opportunity to Annex …
882 words APA