News and Views
News & Views #5 – Truth, Lies and False Beliefs
News & Views: Misinformation and Rumors in the News
For the last essay, you will be writing about the problem with the spread of misinformation, and conspiracy theories so look for topics related to new stories where you know there has been a lot of misinformation. For example, there has been a lot of misinformation spread about catching Coronavirus (the 5G towers are spreading them) or Black Lives Matter (Donations are going towards a money-laundering operation)
You can change your topics week-to-week.
Possible News Sources in addition to the ones you used earlier in the semester:
- The Conversation ” (Links to an external site.) https://theconversation.com/us The Conversation arose out of deep-seated concerns for the fading quality of our public discourse – and recognition of the vital role that academic experts can play in the public arena (The Conversation-About us).
- Allsides “ (Links to an external site.) https://www.allsides.com/unbiased-balanced-news Don’t be fooled by media bias and fake news. Unbiased news does not exist; we provide balanced news and civil discourse.” (Allsides.com)
- List the title of this article and the source (newspaper)
- Copy and paste the first three paragraphs of the article along with the link to the article.
- Write a brief response to this article:
- Write a short paragraph—3-5 sentences—describing why you chose this story to read. Reasons can include a personal connection–it’s about a sport, topic, or person you are interested in; or a general connection: you found the title and/or introduction interesting.
- Also, discuss how you know you can trust the information in the article.
- Bonus: What rumors, conspiracy theories, false beliefs does it identify as untrue?
Please don’t forget, look for articles with false information about corona virus or black lives matter, copy the first 3 paragraph and paste it on word document then write 3-5 sentences why you chose the topic. Thanks
apa 787 words