Answer the following questions.
- What are the pros and cons of using expatriates instead of relying on local employees?
- Which criteria are most commonly used to evaluate candidates, and which should be used more often?
- Evaluate the recent trend for the increasing use of short-term assignments. Why are these becoming more common? Is this trend beneficial to most firms, or is it likely to cause additional challenges?
- Discuss the costs and benefits of cross-cultural training. After considering the evidence for and against, do you feel that cross-cultural training is a worthwhile investment of time and money? Support your answer.
- Where does the repatriation process often fall short? Describe specific challenges associated with repatriation after a foreign assignment, and ways in which the corporation could better assist their employee with this process. Some argue that awareness of one’s own culture can ease the transition into a new culture. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Provide clear examples to support your answer.