The Role of Juvenile Courts
The separation of the juvenile court from the adult court for hearing juvenile delinquency cases is a major social justice statement. The textbook lays out five critical thinking questions at the end of Chapter 6. Select one for your initial post to the discussion:
- Should the philosophy of the juvenile court system be rehabilitative or punitive? Defend your position.
- Has Child Protective Services “run its course” like some critics suggest? Or should it be revamped? How would you revamp such a service?
- Teen courts have become a popular option for diverting youth. Is there a downside in involving the youth’s peers in the process? Support your case.
- Although most states have retained their transfer laws, the rate of transfers to adult court has remained stable. Why do you think this is the case?
- Do you agree with the U.S. Supreme Court in regards to the Roper v. Simmons and Miller v. Alabamacases? Why are or why not?